Tuesday, April 6, 2010

How Cooking Makes Me Feel...

I obviously have more time on my hands these days... I have been applying for jobs, doing chores, finishing up moving into our new apartment, and I have been obsessed with finding new things to cook for Mark and myself.

Today at lunch I had a summer salad with homemade strawberry balsamic vinaigrette dressing. (See end of the post for recipe)

When I test new recipes, I feel anxious that I am not going to enjoy what I am making but I have hope that I will LOVE it. Today's salad was something I would definitely order out, but I have never made at home. Oh my goodness, it was so great! Next time, I am going to adjust it a little (see my notes at the end of the post).

The outcome? I had a rush of emotions after I made the dish --- not really. I did love the salad, but more importantly, I gained an ounce of confidence that I can actually make good food myself. I don't feel comfortable eating out for lunch every day right now, so I need to adjust and eat well at home. Plus, it gives me something to do during the day!


Strawberry Summer Salad (Original Recipe found in "Meals for 2, 4, 6, 8" by Rachael Ray)
-Hearts of Romaine (I used a handful out of a bagged salad)
-3 strawberries (sliced)
-Dressing:
:: 1 tablespoon Strawberry Jam
:: Half tablespoon balsamic vinegar
:: 1.5 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil

A couple of things I may change next time:
-Baby Spinach salad instead of Hearts of Romaine
-Add some candied pecans or another crunchy nut
-Add feta cheese crumbles

No comments:

Post a Comment